Re: [WebIDL] Simplify callbacks

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:12:23 +0100, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
wrote:
> Anyway, here's a suggestion:
>
>    callback EventListener = void handleEvent(Event evt);
>
>    interface EventTarget {
>      void addEventListener(DOMString type, EventListener listener,
>                            bool useCapture);
>    };
>
> That handles the (by far common case) of [Callback,NoInterfaceObject]
> being used on an interface with a single operation.  It's an improvement
> over using "interface" IMO.

Agreed, looks pretty awesome to me!

> Also if someone knows of any interfaces that use a [Callback] with
> attributes on it, please let me know.  It would simplify matters to drop
> support for that too.

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#interface-nodefilter
has them (sad face), but I am not really sure how that ends up being
exposed.

> For event listener attributes where they are required to be restricted
> only to Function objects (that is the case, yes?) we could write
>
>    callback EventListener = void handleEvent(Event evt);
>    [FunctionOnly] attribute EventListener onclick;
>
> or
>
>    callback EventListener = void handleEvent(Event evt);
>    typedef [FunctionOnly] EventListener EventListenerAttribute;
>    attribute EventListenerAttribute onclick;
>
> to reduce a bit of repetition.

I think we should introduce a native IDL type "eventhandler" so you can
write

   eventhandler onclick;

Event handlers are extremely common and worthy of such blessing, in my
opinion.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/