Re: Type restriction of elements in Array

On 11/10/11 5:17 PM, Kisub Song wrote:
> Even though the original ECMAScript does not support the type
> restriction of array, I can implement arrays that allow values of
> specific type as their elements. in case of platform array object.
>
> What I am wondering is that allowing only specific type value for an
> array is right policy or not.
>
> If it is right policy, what should happen if user try to assign wrong
> type value to an array?
> var as = getTypeAArray(); // returns array of TypeA.
>
> var b = getTypeB(); // returns value of TypeB.
>
> as[0] = b; // What should happen in this situation?
> // exception? or silently ignoring?

The spec defines that to throw an exception, through step 2.3.5 of the
platform array object [[DefineOwnProperty]] algorithm, which "converts"
the JS value on the rhs of the assignment to the IDL type of the array's
elements.

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#platform-array-object-defineownproperty