Re: Reviving E4X (H4E)?

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:43 AM, ☻Mike Samuel <msamuel@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:37, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 5:22 AM, Dominic Cooney <dominicc@chromium.org>
> wrote:
> >> Quasis don’t provide a means for accurate error reporting, ie line and
> >> column numbers. (Since quasis seem designed for embedding DSLs, this
> seems
> >> like a shortcoming?)
>
> This is true right now, but if the quasi were changed to include the
> file, line number and char offset of the open quote and the number of
> lines and length of last line for each substitution, then position
> info is recoverable with the exception of tab columns introduced
> inside substitutions.

I like the idea of enhancing the quasis proposal so that source+line+column
can be recovered. However, I don't understand the tab column notion, and
(perhaps related?) I don't see how the needed extra info can be this simple.

If indeed we need more info, and if we had a standard composable source map
format as deeply freezable JSON data[1], then I would like to see such a
map included in the literal data object.

[1] Is any emerging as a de facto std?

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM