Re: DOMString-like objects for the CSSOM

On Feb 19, 2010, at 5:27 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> We definitely do need an API that works with numbers. Conversion, no
> matter how optimized, is a waste. Furthermore, it's not just a
> simple conversion, the units part of the string must be removed and
> then re-added. I don't think there is any question that we need to
> bypass all that and enable direct use of numeric values.

Ok, sure -- I'm not denying API needs, just redirecting them :-/.

> The question is just whether to hang it off the string-based API in
> this slightly odd way, or to add a new parallel API. Please don't
> throw out the valid use case baby with the quirky solution bathwater.

Not throwing out use-cases.

> My design taste and compatibility concerns would lean towards a new
> parallel API, but I'm willing to give proponents of extended strings
> a chance to demonstrate that it is a viable option.

Compatibility is pretty much all or nothing. Trying to cheat requires
massive field testing, and even then you may not hear bad news until
next year. Why risk this kind of breaking change actually breaking
some important web content?

/be