Re: Adoption of the Typed Array Specification

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com>wrote:

> This is difficult to do, given the goals of typed arrays -- they wouldn't
> behave like normal Arrays in most meaningful ways.  At the core, an
> ArrayBuffer is of fixed size, and it doesn't make sense to index an
> ArrayBuffer directly (because there's no indication of what format the data
> should be accessed in).  Making the array view types instances of Array
> might work, but again given that they're fixed length, there's a significant
> difference there.

in ES5:

    var x = [];
    for (var i = 0; i < N; i++) {
        x.push(0);
    }
    Object.seal(x);

The x that results from the above code is fully populated, of fixed length,
and must remain fully populated. It is much closer to what programmers
coming from other languages might regard as an array.

UInt8Array can even be described as

    function UInt8Array(size) {
      const result = [];
      for (let i = 0; i < size; i++) {
        let value = 0; // Relies on ES-Harmony block level scoping of "let"
        Object.defineProperty(result, i, {
          get: function() { return value; },
          set: function(newValue) {
            if (notUInt8(newValue)) { throw new TypeError("oops"); }
            value = newValue;
          },
          enumerable: true
        }
      }
      return Object.seal(result);
    }

Since the result is simply a constrained array, it still inherits all our
nice shiny higher order methods from Array.prototype.

I am of course not suggesting that it be implemented that way. I'm not sure
I'm even suggesting that it be specified that way. I'm only observing that a
fixed length type-limited array is not necessarily at odds with the concepts
already present in the language.