Re: HTML standard for scholarly publications ?

(copying Bjoern Brembs)
This used to be a technical problem.

It is now 100+% sociopolitical.

Simply:
The PublisherAcademicComplex *wants* publications to be 50 years behind the
edge of progress. They don't want XML (except internal). Some publishers
(MDPI, BMC, Hindawi...) used to display XML prominently on their websites.
No longer. There will be  widespread unspoken effective resistance to
ScholarlyHtml (mainly complete non-engagement).

Why?
<rant>
Publishers now don't sell publications. Their business model is:
* authors pay for prestige (glory)
* publishers run surveillance systems and sell or reuse user data

The current model (the Holy Version of Record PDF, VoR) works wonderfully.
 This is what authors are judged on. Since publishing is Rich North
anglophone sighted (mainly) men the current model must be kept.  The PDF is
its medium. It won't change in 20 years (and then climate change will
have destroyed complex society).
I use JATS-XML from EuropePMC. It could be a lot better but it works. Do
the publishers display it? Of course not. They have to retain their 500
own, 30-years-out-of-date sites for only one purpose. Publisher branding.
Readers don't care but they have to read these awful double-column rotated
tables because they have no option. Readers don't matter.

It isn't just academia. The world now accepts PDF as the holy way to
publish. It destroys scientific knowledge. For example the UN IPCC AR6
report on the future of this planet is 10,000 pages of PDF. In English. It
perpetuates Climate Injustice. We have a small group of (mainly Indian
undergraduates) developing tools to convert this to XML.
Total waste of time. Except it is so important to the world we have to do
it.
</rant>

P.

--
"I always retain copyright in my papers, and nothing in any contract I sign
with any publisher will override that fact. You should do the same".

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Yusuf Hamied Department of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-336432