From: Daniel Glazman [mailto:daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 10:48 AM
To: public-scholarlyhtml@w3.org
Subject: Re: elements for basic academic articles

On 01/12/2015 16:36, Silvio Peroni wrote:

> In RASH (https://github.com/essepuntato/rash/), we use a different
> approach to deal with the headings that is basically handled by nested
> section. The idea is to use always “h1” element to identify section
> titles, while the way they are visualised by a browser is handled by
> CSS and strictly dependent on the actual position in the hierarchical
> organisation of the sections/sub-sections. Here an example:
>
> <section>
> <h1>Title of the main section</h1> <!-- visualised similar to h1 --> …
> <section> <h1>Title of the subsection</h1> <!-- visualised similar to
> h2 --> … <section> <h1>Title of the subsubsection</h1> <!-- visualised

All, I remind you this was the reason why XHTML2 - cough, cough - had a h element and at some point in the past deprecated h1-h6. Then we discovered that from a CSS performance point of view, styling that was painful and slow. We also discovered that querying headers of level 4 from script was considerably more painful than just querying h4... We also discovered that copying and pasting had new issues in particular in Wysiwyg environments.

This whole discussion about plusses and minusses of h1-h6 vs. h is in the W3C archive and a few blog posts from 2002 and 2003... Yes, that old.

</Daniel>