Re: Some Design Principles

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 4:13 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:

With the focus on interchange in mind, some design considerations come
> to mind.

I am in essentially complete agreement with this mail and many of the
others.

> The first is the scope of the data model for SH. I think that it should
> be the article.

+1

> [...]
>

> Having articles as its scope, the choice of HTML as the baseline format
> should be (hopefully) obvious.

That was our 2011 thinking as well

So essentially, I propose that SH be entirely comprised of subsets of
> existing standards, with simple extensibility rules that dictate what
> can be guaranteed to interoperate, and what can be added safely but
> might not be universally understood. This is relatively easy to get right.

+1

and from another thread...

>>I've listed a few more: http://scholarly.vernacular.io/#inline-elements.

I think this is a very good starting point. In ContentMine we work on
transforming the current legacy scholarly literature into "ScholarlyHTML"
and I am happy to adopt this vernacular as a target in the near future.
Hopefully this will highlight current scholarly articles that do or do not
transform easily into SH. (There may be a bias towards STM in the immediate
future).

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry