Re: MedicalGuideline vs. MedicalGuidelineRecommendation

Hi Angus,

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 08:51, Angus Leitch <Angus.Leitch@nice.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I’m looking for advice on how to plan marking up for NICE guidelines (
> www.nice.org.uk). Given that the MedicalGuideline notes say “this type
> should be used to tag the actual guideline recommendation”, where would the
> MedicalGuidelineRecommendation type be used? Or is it recommended to use
> both properties for a guideline recommendation?

It looks like MedicalGuidelineRecommendation is simply a subtype (aka
"subclass") of MedicalGuideline, picking out a subset of medical guideline
recommendations "regarded as efficacious and where quality of the data
supporting the recommendation is sound.". For example, an obsolete
recommendation could still be considered a MedicalGuidelineRecommendation
but not a MedicalGuideline. BTW these are both what we call types or
classes, not properties. The difference (besides beginning with an initial
capital letter for easy recognition) is that types are "instantiable". It
makes sense sense to talk about "a" (or "an")
MedicalGuidelineRecommendation, Person, Event etc. So in the guidelines
case, we would say that everything that's a MedicalGuidelineRecommendation
is also expected to be a MedicalGuideline, by virtue of the schema.org type
hierarchy. Similarly, every LocalBusiness is an Organization, and every
https://schema.org/TheaterEvent is an Event, etc.

Hope this helps,

Dan