Re: [heads up] schema for checking SVG+ARIA documents

Hi,

On May 28, 2008, at 04:40, Al Gilman wrote:

> One of the things that SVG is concerned about, as regards the
> WAI-ARIA embedding in host languages, is that the profile be
> checkable for SVG authors.
>
> So on the Hypertext CG call last Friday I accepted the action
> to ask you for a schema.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2008/05/23-hcg-minutes.html#action02

I have already developed draft schema (RELAX NG + Schematron 1.5
schema pair) for HTML5+ARIA. To the extent the SVG WG has schema
feasibility concerns, I think the HTML5+ARIA schema pair should
demonstrate the level of feasibility.

Web view to version control:
http://syntax.whattf.org/relaxng/
(particularly aria.rnc and assertions.sch)

Runnable instance:
http://html5.validator.nu/

Documentation:
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/aria-html5-bis/

> Unfortunately, I only understand the gross purpose of this
> schema and not the specific detailed requirements.  In addition,
> I think the time is not quite ripe while PFWG is considering
> a revision to the relevant section of the spec.
>
> But I want to get the request on your radar screen.
>
> Doug, would you refresh us on the feasible range and preferred
> precise choice in terms of a schema dialect would be most helpful
> to SVG?

What I'd like to do is to integrate aria.rnc and assertions.sch
mentioned above to the SVG 1.1 RELAX NG schema used by Validator.nu. I
haven't done so yet for two reasons:
  1) I wanted to wait for the SVG WG to look into how they want to
integrate ARIA. (I am, of course, hoping that the SVG WG finds it
desirable to use the same syntax as (X)HTML5, i.e. aria-foo.)
  2) It seemed to me that it wouldn't make sense to put ARIA on e.g.
<desc>, so I think a table of which roles are allowed on which SVG
elements is needed. (Similar to my draft proposal at http://hsivonen.iki.fi/aria-html5-bis/
  )

--
Henri Sivonen