Re: Schema.org v4 release draft for review

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 00:00, Nicolas Torzec <torzecn@verizonmedia.com>
wrote:

> *RE #2242 - Added property gender to SportsTeam type:*
>
>    - The range of *gender <https://webschemas.org/gender>* is *genderType
>    <https://webschemas.org/GenderType>*, which is an enumerated type with
>    two possible values: *Male*, *Female*.
>    - Some disciplines and teams are actually mixed. How do we represent
>    them?
>    - E.g., Triathlon Mixed Relay
>    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_Triathlon_Mixed_Relay_World_Championships> is
>    an ITU discipline since 2009 and a 2020 Olympic events.
>
> Thanks for raising this. Enumerated values around gender have many
problems. This is why http://schema.org/gender already also anticipates
text values, to give more freeform expressivity.

Currently the property is defined as "Gender of the person. While
http://schema.org/Male and http://schema.org/Female may be used, text
strings are also acceptable for people who do not identify as a binary
gender.". Minimally we should amend the text to anticipate non-person
things being described with it. I would like to ship schema.org v4 with
such a fix, and we can come back to the possibility of more explicit
strtucture here in v5 or later. Vicki - can you take a look?

> *RE #2232 - Simplified example for Audiobook*
>
>    - Users will wonder how to connect audio books to their printed
>    counterparts
>    - Should we highlight how to do this in the definition?
>    - E.g. via about <https://schema.org/about>, workExample
>    <https://schema.org/workExample>?
>
> workExample sounds about right to me. Anyone else care to take a look at
this for v5?

cheers,

Dan