Re: Solomon''s curse and search Bias

Hi Paola,

Do you mean Solomon's punishment? His punishment is well-documented. A key
problem here, which explains why Sherman didn't get anywhere with his
efforts and why Andy's search terms won't work, is that your phrasing is
somewhat idiosyncratic. It's not clear that "Solomon's curse" is actually a
thing (if it is a thing, the curse was very immediate, splitting Israel
with the next generation). And I didn't follow your statement "not in
relation to a specific race, but more in relation to the history of the
modern world to see if anyone is following up the courses and recourses of
history". The link that you gave doesn't mention anything about Solomon, or
anyone's curse, so I'm not sure what you meant.

As Thad noted, Solomon is a biblical figure, not necessarily a part of
*history*. His historicity is widely disputed, meaning we have little
evidence that he actually existed. Solomon was supposed to have lived 3,000
years ago, so we depend on archaeological evidence and/or independent
accounts (non-Biblical) of his existence. To give you some context, here
are the key figures and events of the 10th century BC
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10th_century_BC>. With Egyptian kings like
Amenemope, researchers have actually discovered their tombs, and there are
independent accounts. For Solomon, we lack that sort of evidence. So
children aren't really missing out on established history here.

In any case, his historicity doesn't matter much for his searchability. If
you search on Solomon's punishment, you'll get decent results. A search on
Solomon's *curse *is dominated by not one, but two novels: *The Solomon
Curse* by Clive Cussler (which is about the Solomon Islands, not King
Solomon) and *King Solomon's Curse* by Andy McDermott (which may be
creatively inventing a curse on or by Solomon for the story).

It's also not clear, in general, what Google is optimizing for in its
search results. Algorithmic approaches like Google's seem not very useful
much of the time, since they result in so much repetition and redundancy,
where a novel or two can dominate several pages, not just the first page.
If you want to narrow down your search, try:

*"solomon's curse" -cussler -mcdermott -kilimanjaro*

(after you eliminate Cussler and McDermott, a lot of musical results
dominate, including many named Kilimanjaro)

You can also add *bible *to the search to good effect. One of the
challenges is that some communities aren't necessarily great at SEO, and
first- or second-gen search engines like Google are heavily influenced by
SEO. This creates asymmetries toward commercial and other SEO-heavy results
(e.g. the first three hits, without using *bible*, are for Amazon,
including two for the same book, then a bunch of other commercial results,
including B&N and the iTunes store for the audiobook).

It's also worth trying DuckDuckGo, Yandex, and Bing. I know DDG had some
relevant results.

Cheers,

Joe Duarte