Re: Can we make Schema.org rdfs:label values usable for UI forms?

Hi Pat, Michael,

I think your suggestions are a good.

I concur with Dan's suggestion of using an alternative property for the
language dependant name of a term.

As you will see from the current vocabulary definition, the rdfs:label is
effectively defining a short name for a term's defining URI.   As such it
could be potentially disruptive to make changes in this area, not only for
the Schema.org UI but also other tools, UIs, and documentation that depend
on the structure as currently implemented.  I believe therefore it should
be maintained as the, user language agnostic, standard label for a term.

I would recommend the use of the schema property alternateName
<https://schema.org/alternateName> for the purposes you describe.

I could then envisage, as Dan suggests, an initially separate Github area
for the set of terms (there are approximately 2,300) language specific
properties for *alternateName* and *description*.  These could then be used
to underpin language specific implementations as you describe and
potentially a future language aware enhancement to the Schema.org UI.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
http://dataliberate.com