Re: Election News Article Metadata and Schema

Hi all - sorry for the delay, we have our Autumn Meeting this week.

As Thad says, we would recommend using Media Topics (
https://iptc.org/standards/media-topics/) to mark up news stories like this.

We have:
- election (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/mediatopic/20000574)
and its child concepts:
- intergovernmental elections (
http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/mediatopic/20000577)
- local elections (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/mediatopic/20000578)
- national elections (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/mediatopic/20000579)
- primary elections (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/mediatopic/20000583)
- regional elections (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/mediatopic/20000585)
- citizens initiative and recall (
http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/mediatopic/20000575)

Genre is more about the type of media, eg Press Release or Feature, rather
than the subject of the content itself. But it may be useful as we have for
example Analysis (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/genre/Analysis) which
combined with Election would cover one of Adam's examples.

I would suggest that we only need a new schema.org entity when the
*structure* of the content changes, i.e. when we need new properties.

BTW we are still going through Thad's mappings and verifying and confirming
them - he's done some great work! - and we will be updating the group soon.

Hope that helps,

Brendan.
--
Brendan Quinn, Managing Director, IPTC - International Press
Telecommunications Council