From: Roger Rohrbach <roger@ecstatic.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 1:35 PM
To: "public-schemaorg@w3.org" <public-schemaorg@w3.org>
Cc: "Muri, Allison" <allison.muri@usask.ca>, Manolis Koubarakis <koubarak@di.uoa.gr>, chaals is Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex.ru>
Subject: Re: Historical events

Hi, all:

 I’ve just joined the Community Group because I’ve started consulting for the American Battlefield Trust (https://www.battlefields.org) and anticipate wanting the same thing Allison is looking for, to mark up Civil War battles, etc., so I thought I’d join the chorus.

While a grand model of temporality like OWL-Time may be useful to the semantic Web folks, my impression is that schema.org<http://schema.org> is supposed to be more pragmatic.  In this case, too pragmatic; the notion of Event supported here is the one defined by the OED as “A planned or scheduled (public or social) occasion,” because search engines want to highlight these (often commercial and hence monetized via advertising) events.  Events in the OED sense of “something that happens or takes place, esp. something significant or noteworthy; an incident, an occurrence” are not modeled.  Extending the present Event schema to encompass this meaning is not a solution.  Ideally, Event should be made more abstract and the current schema should become a subclass (e.g., ScheduledEvent).

I’m guessing there’s massive inertia militating against that.  So, as a newcomer, I’d like to ask if it’s even something worth discussing here.  More broadly: what is ontological scope of the schema.org<http://schema.org> effort?  It appears that the creation and consumption of media, online publishing, travel, tourism, e-commerce and related activities in the here and now are well catered for, but the representation of knowledge, not so much.  Are requests like Allison’s considered out-of-band?

As an aside, I was unaware of historical-data.org<http://historical-data.org>; it looks like someone, rather than joining the present effort, decided to attempt to extend existing schema developed here to suit their needs (and mimic the schema.org<http://schema.org> site while at it), giving up after nine months.  There’s nothing there I’d want to use; they extended CreativeWork to HistoricalRecord, and relied on the existing Event schema (insufficient, for the reasons outlined above) to capture the historical event of interest.

best regards,

Roger