Re: human language oriented datetime standard

Unless I’m misunderstanding you, I think you’re misunderstanding the
Schema.org spec.

You can use *both* an ISO-8601 data and a “human” date in your mark-up:

<time datetime="2018-07-01T18:00:00+00:00" itemprop="doorTime">tomorrow, 6
PM</time>

So why is it you feel there should be *another* standard for representing
dates and times?

On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 at 18:45 Niels <nielsl@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> The problem I am tryibg to solve is that there is no handle how to
> interprete a value as text. If offer a calander of events on a webpage, and
> I wish to phrase the dates as "tomorrow 9pm" or "may 15th 17:00" there is
> no certainty that an indexer will understand the format.
> An alternative would be to also include a proptery as metadata with an
> iso-8606 format of that same datetime.
> But ideally we would not like to add duplicate data, and would like to
> mark up visable information rather than adding meta elements.
>
> What ai am proposing to do is maje a start with a less formal standard,
> but a standerd never the less, to in the future provide an alternative
> where one can mark up a date in a less formal context and know that
> indexers or others making use of the data will have a handle on it though
> this standard.
>

> Niels
>

> On June 30, 2018 7:28:52 PM GMT+02:00, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, but...what problem are you trying to solve ?
>>
>> The reason for ISO 8606 standards in the first place...to improve
>> interoperability and avoid confusion between a human and a human, or a
>> machine and a human, or all.
>>
>> Schema.org already supports simple TEXT on any property, regardless if it
>> is stated or not, and does not prevent you from expressing as much or as
>> little as you like about a Date.
>>
>> Your scenario seems like those of others before you, where you could have
>> your server code or javascript take a DATE from your database or backend
>> system and just convert that to a TEXT type and populate it.
>>
>> Schema.org allows you to say, if you want:
>>
>> "doorTime": "tomorrow"
>>
>> instead of
>>
>> "doorTime": "2018-06-30T15:38:51Z"
>>
>> You are also not prevented from providing BOTH forms, when and where you
>> need to provide Machines and Humans what they need for understanding.
>>
>> The reason to use a Machine Readable standard rather than Human Readable
>> no-standard, is to improve understanding by the rest of the world who could
>> know exactly when your "tomorrow" is.
>>
>> -Thad
>>
>> --
Martin Bean