Re: Schema.org and OWL

I know the original query has been answered, and closed.  But I welcome
that the discussion has broadened beyond the original topic.  I’ve learned
much for the discussion.  Some of the broader points raised suggest issues
that the schema.org community should be mindful of moving forward.

Two themes strike me.  One is that the current vocabulary *seems*
idiosyncratic.  I’m not concerned about elegance for the sake of elegance
or academic correctness. I seek coherence simply to understand and learn
the whole package so I can use it for my own needs.  I’ve spent many hours
trying to understand how the vocabulary works, and find myself confused by
it regularly.  It’s not for a lack of effort: I have a shelf of books about
RDF and related topics.  I appreciate that schema.org is more approachable
than most high-level ontologies.  But I have trouble understanding the
patterns of different pieces, which often feel like they were made
piece-meal (even it they weren’t).  Schema.org is confusing for those who
want to understand it has a coherent vocabulary, but who haven’t been
involved with it from its inception, and I fear that chasm isn’t well
understood by core insiders.  To cite one small example: entities types
sometimes are labeled with “Type” in the name (in enumerations), generally
“Type” missing in the name, but sometime they are called a “Specification.”
I’m sure every decision has a good rationale behind it, but it is hard to
understand those decisions without witnessing each, or tracking down
comments made in list discussions or Github.  In short, schema.org is far
from being “self-describing”, and the existing documentation doesn’t
explain how to use many features of the vocabulary.  There is nothing wrong
with being idiosyncratic, but it does place a bigger burden on
documentation.  Every “good enough” solution for a specific situation
requires that much more explanatory documentation.  People try to read
things literally to understand them.

I would like my fellow community members to appreciate there are people
like me who aren’t complete novices, but aren’t insiders who know every
backstory.  I feel there can be an assumption that only a handful of people
need to know the rationale, and everyone else will be fine with the
examples provided that provide recipes for what to do, even if they don’t
understand why they are crafted the way they are.  Right now, if you want
to understand how to use the “category” property,  you are on your own,
because there’s no recipe, and little explanation.  There are lots of
places like that.

The second theme that this discussion highlights to me is that development
of the vocabulary has been driven by domain-specific tasks.  That’s a very
logical way to prioritize coverage, but the vocabulary may be encountering
some limitations of this approach.  Properties get too closely tied to the
original entity that they were associated with.   Curiously, there is no
central list of properties on the schema.org website (unlike on the GS1
website), so it can be hard to know where a property is being used for a
different entity that might be relevant to one’s own entity.

>From a use case perspective, sometimes the property is the point of
comparison.  Imagine we want to ask, which is faster, a cheetah or an
electric scooter?  We can’t get an answer to that question from the
schema.org vocabulary.  There’s no animal entity, so we can’t specify the
speed of an animal.

I choose this example for two reasons.  First, schema.org needs to allow
for the comparison of common properties of different entity types.  This is
hugely interesting information, which is currently not well-supported.
Schema.org should be a comprehensive vocabulary supporting general
information, not just a collection of dissimilar terms relating to a range
of different domains.

Second, not all use cases will be driven by a single domain, which seems to
be the current assumption.  Some may argue that there’s no animal type
because that’s not commercially significant.  People can get that
information from Wikipedia.  But some publishers do cover a broad range of
general interest information, even animals — and Wikipedia should never be
the sole source of truth. The needs of general interest publishers aren’t
always well served currently.  What use case would require information
about the speed of a cheetah?  Perhaps a learning module for elementary
school students, or even a trivia game for adults.   Applications of the
vocabulary are no longer limited to ecommerce.

I make these points not to detract from the success of the schema.org
project, or those involved with it.  But I’d caution against the view that
everything is working fine as it is.  I think the vocabulary needs to make
it easier to support cross-domain applications.