RE: Schema.org and OWL

1.       domainIncludes and rangeIncludes are not exhaustive. Multiple values are linked by an open OR, not exclusive AND (major difference to RDFS)

2.       its OK to be a member of more than one class. It’s OK for something to be both a Product and CreativeWork.

From: Anthony Moretti [mailto:anthony.moretti@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 15 June, 2018 16:30
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>
Cc: Martin Hepp <mfhepp@gmail.com>; elf Pavlik <elf-pavlik@hackers4peace.net>; public-schemaorg@w3.org; Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Schema.org and OWL

Thanks for the links guys.

I'm definitely not trying to make Schema into "one true logical model of the world", I do always think it's worthy to strive for simplicity and consistency though, something maybe similar in intention to code refactoring<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_refactoring>.

Here is a problem that exists now though because of overly specific domains - if I want to describe the height of the Eiffel Tower, a Place, I'd want to use the "height" property, but the only types "height" can be used on are MediaObject, Person, Product, and VisualArtwork. I completely get the volcano-with-fax-number approach, and I'm actually a big fan of it, that's why I propose moving properties such as "height" to Thing. A guideline that Schema might be able to apply here could take inspiration from the rule of three<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_three_(computer_programming)> - whenever a property is used on more than two types move it to the parent type. Using this guideline "height" would be on Thing, and could then be used to describe the Eiffel Tower.

I'll end now with one final suggestion, I realize it probably has no chance of going anywhere, but I'll put it out there for consideration anyway. After moving those properties to Thing I realized that because CreativeWork, Product, and Intangible don't have clear definitions all they do is add complexity (how many times is it asked whether products are also creative works and vice versa). It would arguably be simpler to have all their properties on Thing and ThingType. This is in line with the volcano-with-fax-number approach, and would give great flexibility.

Thanks for all the discussion!

Anthony