Re: Eurocentrism, incorrect unit abbreviations, and proprietary Royalist Engish (sic) terms

I don't mean to shut down conversations, it's just that big email list
discussions turn out to be a pretty crude tool. In general Github issues
have been much more of the engine of productivity in the project, and email
here has tended more to be where people blow off steam and vent
frustrations. That's probably not an ideal split but it's the pattern we
seem to fall into. In the specific case of these discussions the thing I'm
taking away is that the Steering Group and founders could/should have been
clearer (even, blunter) about the kinds of community discussion, vocabulary
development and collaborative activity we are aiming at here. While it's
very unlikely that we'll engage in large scale ontological re-engineering
to the extent you've been advocating, I don't want to give the impression
that community discussions are unwelcome here. But some nudges in terms of
the kinds of collaboration would probably help. I've tweaked
https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/blob/master/README.md over in Github
a little, recently, in that direction. In general (and I've said this
before, e.g.
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schemaorg/2015Dec/0016.html )
we need to remember that adding/reorganizing schema definitions is only one
of the many ways in which we can have useful collaborations. It would be
interesting and healthy to see people working together on e.g. opensource
tooling (whether cloud, browser-based, libraries...) that *consumes*
Schema.org markup. Consuming Schema.org across all domains, across the
whole Web, is not easy (even if you're a major search engine) but there are
plenty of other possibilities for exploiting markup and structured data
systems that use Schema.org. It may be healthy if we refocus a little on
fostering more diverse use of the definitions that we've already got,
rather than simply debating what to add or change. And for the grand
questions of ontoogical engineering, there's always
http://ontologforum.org/index.php/WikiHomePage :)

Dan