Re: Google Structured Data Testing Tool - improved support for multiple independent types

Hi,

I'm an info science expert specializing in ontologies and IR systems (who
has been lurking here for quite some time), so I thought I'd answer this
question. It directly relates to the quantity of data that you have on hand
and how deeply you want to slice and dice it. Say you have five records of
organizations in your database. The fact that two are government
organizations and two are businesses and one is a church probably doesn't
matter. At that scale a human can identify the distinctions between these
organization types without needing any mediation.

Now imagine that your database contains 5 million records of which roughly
1 million are government organizations, 2 million are businesses, 120k are
churches, and the other 1.88 million are a jumbled long tail of other
organization types not covered by the first three sub-types. This is a
situation where having narrower sub-classes definitely helps the end user
zero in on the things they are interested in. This is why taxonomies like
LoC subject headings look the way that they look (diving quite deeply into
fine-grained distinctions). There is a great deal of method to the seeming
madness of vocabulary development.

These distinctions are important for answering the basic question, "What do
you have?" (related to the question, "What do you know?").

Regards,

Jacob

Jacob Jett
Research Assistant
Center for Informatics Research in Science and Scholarship
School of Information Science
501 E. Daniel Street, MC-493, Champaign, IL 61820-6211 USA
(217) 244-2164
jjett2@illinois.edu