Re: Leaping aliases or Property aliases in Schema.org

On the issue of “* schema.org <http://schema.org/> doesn’t distinguish
between the abstract creative work and the physical realization of it.*”

This is handled in the bibliographic world using FRBR
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_Requirements_for_Bibliographic_Records>
(Functional
Requirements for Bibliographic Works), using a hierarchy  of Works,
Expressions, Manifestations and Items.   This was considered in depth in
the Schema Bib Extend Group which introduced the exampleOfWork and
workExample properties into schema:CreativeWork. <http://CreativeWork.>

It is with this simple mechanism supplemented by MTEs it is possible to
represent most any entity instance in that hierarchy.

So “To Kill a Mockingbird”, the creative work independent of its production
in any form would be a schema:CreativeWork with author, etc..  It would
have a workExample relationship with  “To Kill a Mockingbird”, a
schema:Book with publisher, ISBN, numberOfPages, BookFormatType, etc. To
describe the availability of an instance of such a schema:Book it would be
multi-typed to be also a schema:Product enabling the capability to describe
height, weight, image (cover image), and offers to purchase, loan, etc.  An
individual copy of “To Kill a Mockingbird” (the one signed by the author,
or an individual copy on a library shelf) would be an MTE combination with
schema:Book & schema:IndividualProduct which introduces serialNumber
(barcode in library terms).

There are examples of parts of this on the Book page:
http://schema.org/Book#offeredBy-1

Also on that page is an example <http://schema.org/Book#bib-3> of how a
series or multi-part work would be described, using hasPart and isPartOf to
relate the volumes of “Lord of the Rings” together in the overall work.
Note the use of a combination of schema:Book & schema:PublicationVolume.

Referencing you anthology example, each story could be described as an
individual schema:CreativeWork with author etc. and asPartOf the overall
schema:CreativeWork (or subtype thereof) with publisher etc.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
http://dataliberate.com