Re: Question about example at https://schema.org/interactionStatistic

Hi Karen,

I think you have identified a bit of a confused example.

At first it looks like a reasonable description of a *MusicGroup*, with
*event*s and *track*s.  However as you have spotted, not only do some of
the nested *MusicRecording* types validly have *interactionStatistic*
properties, the *MusicGroup* also has one.  Which is not valid.   I also
note that there is a *video* property which is not valid for *MusicGroup*.

The question obviously is, what was the intension of creator of the example.

Looking at the other serialisations, including the surrounding html, I
believe the ‘interaction’ being described (for the *MusicGroup*, not the
*MusicRecording*s) is probably better described using a *review* property,
taking a *Review* type.

As to *video*, that is slightly more complex.

The least radical option would be to describe the *VideoObject* separately
indicating that it is *about* the *MusicGroup* plus other properties
indicating *creator*, *actor*, etc.

More radical, but possibly worth pursuing would be the question as to if
the domain of *video* should be expanded to include *Thing*, or
alternatively the range of *image* be expanded to include *VideoObject*.
It could be argued in these days of Snapchat, YouTube, etc. anything can
have a *video* [image] as much as it can have an *image*.

Whatever, the example (which appears 10 term pages on the Schema.org site)
you identify needs fixing and I have raised an issue (#1446
<https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/1446>) to track that.

~Richard

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate