Re: Question on expressing translations of terms

Hi Thad,

we may have a misunderstanding about the motivation. Let me try to explain with a comparison. If I want to give my own ratings of a product, Schema.org allows me to that e.g. via https://schema.org/Rating . And ratings then are taken up in search results previous.

I can give my own translations (with your example, the one from Richard or the one from Alexandre in an earlier mail), but there is no guidance on how how translations will or should be taken up.

By „translations" I don’t mean general translations based on world knowledge. That would be feasible, as you pointe out, with global lexical data bases.

If you look at the slides I linked to below, you will see an example. Companies have their own multilingual terminologies. They own and govern these terminologies and don’t want them to be a part of a global lexical data base. Still they want to put them on the Web, to ease cross lingual access to their data.

It would not make sense to put a highly company specific name like „Easy Graphics Framework“ and its Chinese translation „图形提供商“ into a general lexical data base. Still the companies want to have their multilingual data taken up in web search. See attached mockup of how that could look like.

So this topic mostly about motivations and benefits. For ratings and their uptake in web search this relation is clear. For company specific multilingual data it is not yet clear to me.

Best,

Felix