Re: How to encode a product family?

I would simply use schema:category with a string or enumerated value (you can use schema:category with schema:Brand or schema:QualitativeValue (or any other subtype of Thing) or schema:brand with a schema:Brand entity.

ProductFamily has a weak meaning and will likely not improve the quality of the resulting data, because people will use it in many different ways, so in the end, we will have a blurry intermediate type that does not provide any added value over existing mechanisms, like

- schema:category,
- schema:brand,
- schema:additionalType, and
- multi-typed entities.

If the backend database does not contain a product family relation, rather use schema:category with a text value and let the big search engines do the entity consolidation. After all, they have more data and processing power than a single site ;-)

As a general rule, we should not encourage sites to use unreliable heuristics to lift their data to heightened requirements in terms of data granularity or disambiguation. Unless the sites have respective high-quality data in their backends readily available (i.e. we just have to encourage them to *expose* better data), the result will be low-quality data and the big consumers of schema.org will have to discard such additional data anyway.

Martin

martin hepp  http://www.heppnetz.de
mhepp@computer.org          @mfhepp