Re: Will your Community Group meet during TPAC 2016?

On 29 March 2016 at 22:49, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@apple.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I was wondering if there was any interest in meeting at TPAC 2016 (see below for more information).
>
> I personally think it would be a great idea to meet in person and make some progress on the many pending issues and PR that we currently have. TPAC is also a good opportunity for reaching out to a larger community. Also, it looks like a lot of people are talking about tooling, which is a great interest of mine.
>
> I work on www.apple.com, and like many websites, a struggle of ours is to deal with all the Structured Data approaches. So I was also curious to see if there was interest in a more general discussion around standardizing those Structured Data approaches, likely around Schema.org as that's where we see the most traction.
>
> We have basically 2 weeks to make a decision and bring it to the W3C.

I've mixed feelings about this. As Shane and Charles have noted, it
can be a crazy busy week already for people deeply involved in full
W3C Working Group efforts. However, Community Groups are increasingly
important in the W3C environment and it is great that CGs are now
invited to participate at TPAC. For those of you on the list
unfamiliar with TPAC, this is W3C's annual face to face event in which
Working Group (and other) meetings are physically co-located for a
week, giving people a chance to get to know each other better, and for
groups to work on collaborative, cross-cutting issues to increase the
overall coherence of the Web standards environment.

>From a broader W3C perspective, having Community Groups involved at
TPAC is a very positive thing. At the Chairs Breakfast meeting during
last year's TPAC I argued for greater inclusion of Community Group
chairs and participants within W3C activities. There are now a large
number of CGs across many topics, and everything we can do to
encourage grassroots coordination and communication amongst these
groups, and between these groups and the more heavyweight full Working
Groups is super valuable.

All that said, there are two big factors that diminish the usefulness
of a Schema.org CG meeting at TPAC 2016.

1.) "W3C insiders" at TPAC are often incredibly busy already, and
finding time for an "optional" topical meeting like this can be
difficult.
2.) Many / most members of this (and related CGs) do not have the
funding to travel to Lisbon, Portugal for in-person meetings.

The schema.org CG (https://www.w3.org/community/schemaorg/) has 209
members. Other schema.org-related CGs include
https://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/ (104 participants),
https://www.w3.org/community/schema-course-extend/# (35),
https://www.w3.org/community/gao/ (53),
https://www.w3.org/community/schemed/ (30),
https://www.w3.org/community/architypes/ (53),
https://www.w3.org/community/tourismdata/ (23),
https://www.w3.org/community/fibo/ (28),
https://www.w3.org/community/sport-schema/ (15), and even
https://www.w3.org/community/meat/ (7)...

Part of the value of W3C's community groups mechanism (and similarly
use of Github) is that they can have broad reach into the wider world
- sports, archives, finance, education, tourism, even meat! For a
project like schema.org which is all about describing things, this is
essential. However as we look beyond the core Web standards scene we
need also to remember that many important contributions come from
participants who don't have the luxury of an employer who'll cover
airfares and hotels for a week of meetings.

In this context, I do think we should book a TPAC 2016 slot for the
Schema.org CG, but that we owe it to the vast majority who won't be
able to attend, to present it as a meeting for and about the
Schema.org CG but one that will likely only have a small number of its
members participating.

 * I'd suggest (without having yet consulted the other CG chairs) that
a single TPAC CG meeting around schema.org would be preferable to
having 10+ different meetings for the various schema.org-related CGs
listed above
 * That the spirit of the event is "for those who are attending TPAC
anyway, or quite likely to for other reasons", rather than "A
must-attend meeting for anyone involved at schema.org"
* It looks like the offer to CGs is that we can have (several?) 2h
meeting slots. I'd suggest we do something like a couple of mornings
(2x 2 slots) if available, one focussed on specific schema topics, the
other on broader issues that take advantage of likely attendees e.g.
publisher/webmaster experience with these technologies, or the
relationship between microdata/rdfa/json-ld with Web Components.

How does that sound?

Just to share some past experience, back in 2013 -
http://blog.schema.org/2013/10/schemaorg-at-iswc-2013-conference.html
-  we rented an informal "schema.org" room at ISWC, the Semantic Web
conference, alongside the many existing events at the conference. It
was not heavily used, but it did provide a way for several of us to
get together and finalize some tricky details around improvements to
the TV and Radio schemas - something that was proving difficult via
email/wiki alone. At the larger original kickoff event for schema.org
back in 2011 there were some useful presentations (archived here,
http://schema.org/docs/kickoff.html ) but during the discussion
sessions essentially what happened was that the Web technology
standards people went off into a nerdy huddle and debated
RDFa-versus-Microdata-versus-Microformats etc., while publishers and
domain experts were left somewhat on their own. I hope whatever we do
we can find a balance that makes the best of everyone's time...

cheers,

Dan

p.s. Eric (https://www.w3.org/People/Eric/ , cc'd) at W3C also
mentioned that the recent activity around medical/health vocabulary
within schema.org has raised some interest (and concerns) from the
Healthcare and Lifesciences group
(https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-semweb-lifesci/2016Mar/)
so there might be useful conversations to be had there too.