Re: External Extension Library Help

Hi Russell,

An external extension and how it is designed, created and managed is, by
its nature, under the control of those creating it.

It could be a vocabulary that depends on the Schema.org vocabulary to
exist, such as BiblioGraph.net, which provides a few extra terms (all
subtypes or sub properties of Schema.org terms) needed by the developers.

Alternatively it could be a fully fledged standalone vocabulary, such as GS1
<http://gs1.org/voc/>, which includes in the definition of its terms their
relation to Schema.org terms.  For example gs1:Offer
<http://gs1.org/voc/Offer> is defined as an exact match to schema:Offer
<http://schema.org/Offer>.

There are various options as to how such a vocabulary definition is made
available for public use.  From a single web page, through taking a fork of
the Github code <https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg> for Schema.org, to
creating a new web application specifically for the purpose.

For someone trying to get their head around how to approach this I would
suggest reading of my blog series *Evolving Schema.org in Practice:* Parts 1
<http://dataliberate.com/2016/02/10/evolving-schema-org-in-practice-pt1-the-bits-and-pieces/>,
2
<http://dataliberate.com/2016/02/25/evolving-schema-org-in-practice-pt2-working-within-the-vocabulary/>,
3
<http://dataliberate.com/2016/03/01/evolving-schema-org-in-practice-pt3-choosing-where-to-extend/>,
which expands not only on the technicalities but also on some of the
thought processes needed.  This should help with deciding if an external
extension is needed, or proposals for Schema.org itself would help, or even
if creative use of what is already in place would satisfy your need.

Hope this helps you.

If you think I could be of more detailed help, drop me a direct line.

~Richard

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
richard.wallis@datalibeate.com