Re: Third sector services extension?

Hi Jen,

A few comments on your questions:

   - For guidance on working with current vocabulary and extensions,  how
   you would define extensions and some of the decisions you need to make I
   would recommend my “Schema.org in Practice” blog post series part 1
   <http://dataliberate.com/2016/02/10/evolving-schema-org-in-practice-pt1-the-bits-and-pieces/>,
   2
   <http://dataliberate.com/2016/02/25/evolving-schema-org-in-practice-pt2-working-within-the-vocabulary/>,
   and 3
   <http://dataliberate.com/2016/03/01/evolving-schema-org-in-practice-pt3-choosing-where-to-extend/>
   .

   - For an overview of how the community works and the vocabulary evolves,
   I would recommend the “How We Work” page
   <http://schema.org/docs/howwework.html> of the documentation.

   - As to groups, my experience is that an open group, with members that
   do not have to be members of a particular other group, work well.
See Schema
   Bib Extend <https://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/>, Automotive
   Ontology Group <https://www.w3.org/community/gao/>, and Schema Course
   Extension <https://www.w3.org/community/schema-course-extend/> as
   examples.  It does not have to be a W3C Community Group as all these are,
   but these work well and reflect the cross-sector nature of such discussions.

   - Commercial / non-commercial is not really a major factor, it is about
   an engaged group of people making well thought through proposals that not
   only reflect the needs of their community but also how they interact with
   other sectors, and build on what is already established.

   Accompanying such proposals with real world use cases (current sites
   that would benefit) and examples that are spread across the web, preferably
   plus offers from site owners willing to apply what is proposed, all help
   towards a recognition of need, and benefit from the rest of the Schema.org
   community when considering the details of a proposal.

Hope that helps.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate