Re: schema.org upcoming topics

Hi Dan,

Just to give an ELIXIR perspective: as I see it, dataset descriptions are a fairly complicated area where there are a number of different sub-communities each with a slightly different take on the subject.

In life sciences, the W3C Health Care and Life Sciences group has proposed a community profile [1] based on DCAT, PROV, VoID but as far as I am aware is mainly applied to RDF datasets. On the other hand the NIH Big Data 2 Knowledge Biocaddie initiative, which is about dataset discoverability, has come up with a new, encompassing DATS schema [2] that maps to various other metadata exchange models both generic and domain-specific. They plan to map the DATS model to schema.org through the Bioschemas community [3] so you may see some schema.org activity in the near future.

At the ELIXIR hub we have been discussing some potential use cases for schema.org dataset descriptions that aren’t about discovery as well but these are at an early stage.

One thing I would be interested to hear about, is who is using schema.org to describe datasets and what are their use cases?

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/hcls-dataset/ <https://www.w3.org/TR/hcls-dataset/>
[2] https://github.com/biocaddie/WG3-MetadataSpecifications <https://github.com/biocaddie/WG3-MetadataSpecifications>
[3] http://bioschemas.org

Kind regards