RE: vocabulary for legal decision (e.g., Supreme Court cases)

Oops, I see Stuart already made this point about the international issues and Dan responded. But perhaps at least my suggestion of looking at Formex will be helpful—it includes a set of what in effect are properties that work for legal content for the EU.

Sorry for getting behind on this thread!

From: Bill Kasdorf
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 11:39 AM
To: Thad Guidry; Stuart Robinson
Subject: RE: vocabulary for legal decision (e.g., Supreme Court cases)

The problem is that internationally there are SO many different vocabularies—I'm not just talking about language differences, I'm talking about the way legal concepts are referred to and thought of in different jurisdictions. Not to mention at all levels from international (I work with the EU publications office and they do have pan-EU legal publications) to national to regional (state, province) to municipal and other local levels.

So trying to include all those existing vocabularies is not only monumental but probably unworkable. (See the EU's Formex vocabulary— http://formex.publications.europa.eu/ —that would be a good place to start.)

In my experience, in a situation like this it is actually more helpful to have a knowledgeable group of people come up with high level generic terms to which individual vocabularies can be mapped. Basic fundamental concepts like "trial", "defendant", "plaintiff", "judge", "jury", "decision", "verdict", "penalty," etc. (Admittedly those are US-centric generic terms. The Formex terms cited above would be a useful comparison.) Anybody from Lexis-Nexis on the CG?

--Bill Kasdorf