Re: JSON-LD and multiple values

From: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 07:53:36 -0700
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>
> On Jun 9, 2015, at 7:06 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:
>
> On 9 June 2015 at 14:36, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It's an array viewed from JSON, but a repeated property viewed from RDF.
>>

>> Got it, so you'd use @list in JSON LD for an ordered list, and a standard
>> array for unordered.
>>
>> But is can I-JSON do the same thing?
>
> Yup, https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2015/03/23/i-json
> "I-JSON is just a note say­ing that if you con­struct a chunk of JSON
> and avoid the in­terop fail­ures de­scribed in RFC 7159, you can call
> it an “I-JSON Message”.”

Depends on what you mean by “do the same thing”; JSON does not have an unordered collection type, just an array. However, it is a syntax only. Most implementations will take this to be an ordered array of elements, and allow duplicates. JSON-LD explicitly treats these as being unordered, unless the context or an explicit @list indicates otherwise, but that’s due to the underlying data-model being RDF, where values are inherently unordered. Note that element contents in Microdata, RDFa and RDF/XML have a document order, but result in the same unordered set of values when converted to RDF.

Gregg