Re: Checking in on Comics work

Hi Henry,

Some great input here, and in you further couple of emails on issues,
variants, etc.

Let me give you a bit of background on how we got to where we are and
answer some of your questions.

The comic proposals were introduced as part of the bibliographic extension (
bib.schema.org) proposed by the Schema Bib Extend W3C Community Group,
which I chair.  You will see the proposal as it took shape documented in
the group Wiki [1
<https://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Periodicals_and_Comics_synthesis>
][2 <https://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Bib.schema.org-1.0>].
Much of this effort was promoted and put together by excellent work from
group member Dan Scott.

The bib extension as it currently stands, and is going through the process
that Dan Brickley has explained, is hopeful the first part of what will
hopefully become an evolving extension to Schema.org.  This being based
upon, demonstrated, need, experience, and usage.  As part of that I have
recently mailed the group
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schemabibex/2015Sep/0004.html>
as to candidates for next steps.  Your thoughts could easily form part of
that.

As to some of your questions.

   - Are all fields potentially multi-value? - as per the rest of schema.org,
   all properties are both optional, and potentially repeatable.  So for
   example you could say:
   <http://coms.example.com/com1>
        a schema:ComicIssue;
        schema:name "My Favourite Comic";
        schema:isPartOf "Best European Comics";
        schema:isPartOf "Hits from 2010".

   - Issues & Volumes - The Comics proposal was built upon the already
   established Periodicals proposal
   <https://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Article> which contains
   some useful examples demonstrating the isPartOf/hasPart properties
   to interrelate the issues, volumes, and their parent Periodical.  These
   examples are repeated in the Schema.org pages.  Your question suggests to
   me that we should repeat at least one of the example on PublicationIssue
   for ComicIssue.

   - Reliable unique identification - one of the main objectives of using
   Schema.org is make what you describe discoverable. If the unique
   identification you describe could play a role in that, and you have a good
   insight into how well such terms may be used, proposals would be welcome.

   - Variants - I believe the variantCover property was to address the
   artwork side of things.  Could variantName be satisfied by using
   alternateName?

   - Further comments, question, proposals - keep them coming!

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
http://dataliberate.com