RE: BookFormatTypes

Shouldn't "graphic novel" be treated as a schema:genre?

We should ask schema.org to add Thing to the range of schema:genre in addition to Text.

From: Wallis,Richard [mailto:Richard.Wallis@oclc.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 11:54 AM
To: Owen Stephens
Cc: Dan Scott; Wallis,Richard; public-schemabibex@w3.org
Subject: Re: BookFormatTypes

On 22 Apr 2015, at 16:15, Owen Stephens <owen@ostephens.com<mailto:owen@ostephens.com>> wrote:

Agree with all this and the need to be able to reliably identify graphic novels. So questions:

Is this better done via a Type or a Property
Or an enumeration as per the current proposal.

If via a Property, what Property, and what is the range of that Property?

If it is an enumeration, as per BookFormatType, the range is constrained to BookFormatType

It strikes me that BISAC Subject Headings might provide a way of doing this -https://www.bisg.org/bisac-subject-headings-list-comics-and-graphic-novels

Would having a Property for BISAC Subject Headings work (which opens up the question of subject headings in general I guess)

I think we are drifting into 'cataloguing cruft' here.

We need to remember the data consumers.  Most of ten will want a simple way to identify if a [Book] being described is one with printed pages & covers, or an AudioBook, or an eBook, as well as being a graphic novel (presuming that you can get eBook graphic novels).

I think we have need for a couple of mechanisms to cover a few independent variables:

  *   Type of book - Print, eBook, AudioBook, ?
  *   Type of physical book - HardCover, PaperBack, Fabric, etc.
  *   Type of content - Graphic novel, etc.

When we have worked out those we can look at enumerations, types, properties & potential sources for values

Richard.