Re: Getting CreativeWork Relationships done

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Charles McCathie Nevile <
chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 03:24:59 +0400, Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
> wrote:
>
>  Hi Tom,
>>

>>      Is there a group call, soon, where Chaals and a couple FRBR experts
>>> could attend?
>>>

>>> Is FRBR the right target here?  It's been around over 15 years without
>>> getting any traction and even the library community appears to be moving
>>> away from it with their new "next big thing," BIBFRAME.
>>>

>> And yet most of these properties Chaals commented on are inspired by FRBR
>> considerations. I was hoping someone with the right FRBR expertise could
>> provide with a good wording, and especially, the clear examples.
>>

> I certainly understand that this comes from FRBR, and I expect someone
> with a good FRBR background would be good to talk to about it. I might look
> at the local library school (University Carlos III, Madrid) for such a
> person.
>
> But my main concern here is to adapt the ideas that FRBR set down to
> something that will withstand (ab)use from a community who generally don't
> know why library schools exist.

This is a common and understandable refrain, but surely you don't need to
be deeply versed in information science to see that two things that are not
the same (whether they're written in different languages, or have different
introductions, or whatever) should not be treated sameAs?

I don't really care if commonEndeavour is what's used, but there needs to
be some way to say that two things are generally referring to the same
platonic ideal, even if they are quite different in reality.

FRBR is kind of a red herring here, although it's useful shorthand to
describe what's going on.  It could be commonWork or
commonIntellectualProperty or something.  I think people can grasp the
concept without needing to resort to FRBR.

-Ross.