Re: Getting CreativeWork Relationships done

On the FRBR point, my [non-librarian] view is that FRBR has provided a great service in establishing a verbal vocabulary for discussing these entity relationships in the bibliographic world.  When looking at use-cases, being able to discuss the potential relationships between Work-ish things and Manifestation-y things in an understandable way is helpful.

However, translating into widely implementable technical and/or ontological solutions, appears to have been far less successful.  Unfortunately when the theory hits the road it becomes clear that sufficient real resources (or the data we have in one place about them) do not fit well into the rules of FRBR to make implementation difficult.
</OPINION>

Comments on Chaals cases:

1. Antoine is the best person to support this, but FWIW I agree with him.  A painting copy of an original painting or sculpture is a CreativeWork in its own right with its own creator, createdDate etc. this new work is a representationOf the original not the original in a different format.  Following the same principles, a photograph is a CreativeWork that is a representationOf the subject of the image - this leads me to think that the range of representationOf could be ‘Thing' so we could describe a portrait as being the representation of a Person.

2. I agree that the definition of commonEndeavour is a bit vague.  This is probably because it was designed to cover the use-case of “I know these CreativeWorks are related in some way but either I do not have the data, or there is no specific property, I can use to describe it.”   The danger being that implementers may over use it as the easy option, or not use it at all because they don’t understand its purpose.  Maybe we drop it from this round and see if the need arrises later, maybe we find a better name and description (vaguelyAssociatedWith, relatedTo, sameCoreIdeaAs, commonBasis)

3.  Yes.

4.  Agree.

Working through the examples, I am mostly in agreement - couple of comments:

I would say that  following on from {DVD,Record,Script} -> basedOn -> RJ
some of your relationships are a bit tenuous - I would expect something like this:

DVD-> exampleOfWork -> West Side Story the movie
DVD -> alternateFormat -> Netflix stream of West Side Story the movie
Record -> exampleOfWork -> West Side Story Soundtrack recording
Record -> alernateFormat -> MP3 West Side Story Soundtrack recording
Script -> alternateFormat -> Scripte braille edition.

The key to alternateFormat is that the content of work at each end of the relationship should be the same.  So the movie would almost certainly not be an alternateFormat of the book, etc.

For alternateFormat the same (reversed) triple would be applicable at each end of the relationship.

Now I have had to postpone the SchemaBibEx meeting to next week we have an opportunity to discuss it then.

I am also happy to organise/participate in a specific call to discuss this.  I could organise it for Friday this week of Monday next week.  Any takers and I’ll put up Doodle to agree a time.

~Richard