Fwd: Schema/BIBFRAME position paper, revised

I am forwarding this to the list on behalf of my colleague Jean Godby.

~Richard

**************
From: "Godby,Jean" <godby@oclc.org<mailto:godby@oclc.org>>
Subject: Schema/BIBFRAME position paper, revised
Date: 27 September 2013 14:22:37 BST
To: "Wallis,Richard" <Richard.Wallis@oclc.org<mailto:Richard.Wallis@oclc.org>>

The URL below links to the revised version of the working paper I released to the BIBFRAME list on June 26, 2013.
http://www.oclc.org/content/dam/research/publications/library/2013/2013-05.pdf

I have made changes throughout the document, but the discussion near the end of Section 1 (starting on Page 9) reproduced below is intended to address questions with attribution identified on this list by readers of the earlier draft:

"The contents of this report reflect outcomes of OCLC’s involvement in three work streams.
First, OCLC continues to conduct experiments with linked data on its publicly accessible data
stores with the aim of creating post-MARC models of the entities and relationships required
for the description of creative works of interest to libraries. Second, OCLC’s participation in
the BIBFRAME Early Experimenters’ group prompted us to analyze the relationship of our
models to BIBFRAME and summarize our findings in a position paper, which was the precursor
to this document. Finally, OCLC’s participation in the W3C Schema Bib Extend community
group required us to re-examine some of our initial assumptions about how to incorporate
Schema.org<http://Schema.org> into models of library resources. We now realize that the library community
needs to be conservative in proposing formal changes to Schema.org<http://Schema.org>. Yet we also believe that
the existing ontology, especially with the introduction of GoodRelations, is deep enough to
create rich and subtle descriptions of many library resources and the events that impact them."

The models described in this document were developed at OCLC and reflect this new
understanding. They adhere to the minimalist philosophy emerging from the Schema Bib
Extend initiative, which recommends starting with a description using Schema.org<http://Schema.org> and
defining new vocabulary only if gaps and inconsistencies impede progress. But because of this
emphasis on vocabulary definition, the Schema Bib Extend community group has been less
focused on the task of constructing models, which is essential for OCLC to achieve goals in its
own work agenda. Thus the models described here go beyond what has been formally
endorsed by the W3C group. But wherever possible, the models reflect OCLC’s experiments
with ideas that have taken shape in the Schema Bib Extend community group discussion.
Because of its grounding in Schema.org<http://Schema.org>, we have dubbed the results ‘The OCLC Schema
Model,’ or the ‘OCLC Model,’ for short...."

Thank you for your interest in my work. I believe that your careful reading produced a better document.

All the best,
Jean Godby