Re: InstanceOf/derivativeOf

On 3/25/13 4:00 PM, Wallis,Richard wrote:

> I am not suggesting that we use Schema.org to align terms in other
> vocabularies.  I believe that we should be striving for a set of
> properties that would enable us to describe the relationships between
> entities that can be described as a schema: CreativeWork.

To me, that does not translate to "instanceOf." As we can see with other
comments here, folks are taking instanceOf to be a relationship between
an abstraction and something concrete (the instance). If I am not
mistaken, using your definition "describe the relationships between
entities that can be described as a schema: CreativeWork," instanceOf
could be used between any two (or more) things that are described with
schema.org/CreativeWork properties (or any of the sub-classes of that).
As I've said before, this implies that there is not necessarily a
dominant and a subordinate thing in the relationship. These could be
what FRBR calls work/work or expression/expression relationships -- as
opposed to the layered relationships of WEMI.

If it is truly a relationship (of undetermined type) between entities
that can be described using schema/CreativeWork then it would be best
not to have directionality or subordination (one is an instance of the
other) but a term expressing commonality (these two have something in
common).

I believe that abstract/concrete can be revealed by the actual
properties used. A description with only an author and a title is
necessarily abstract; one that includes the publisher and date is more
concrete. The description itself is the indicator of the degree of
abstraction.

If this is the intention of the property -- to make a non-specific
connection between any two or more CreativeWorks -- then it in fact
negates BIBFRAME's Work/Instance and FRBR's WEMI because it is not a
relationship between parts of a single description, as those two are,
but it is a relationship between CW descriptions. That aspect *is*
covered in FRBR in the entity/entity relationships but so far is not
evident in BIBFRAME -- although it may come under the Annotation model.

I feel we need to clarify this: is this a CW/CW relationship, without
any concept of "broader" or "narrower"?

kc