Re: InstanceOf/derivativeOf

I'm not sure where inversion fits in here, so at least in my mind that
isn't an issue. What I think Richard is aiming at is a generic way to
link information about creative works, regardless of their level of
specificity. If that is the case, then "instanceOf" is, IMO,
inappropriate in a number of ways
- "instance" implies a single *thing* not a concept or abstraction or
class, and there can definitely be relationships between creative works
at all of their levels
- "instance" is being used in BIBFRAME for something much more concrete
and therefore folks will assume (consciously or not) a BIBFRAME definition
- instance seems to have subordination of one thing to another, at least
in the common usage of the term. However, in many cases there is no
"primary thing" for another to be an instance of. You just have two
things that are related.

I'm back to "commonEndeavor" (or something that means approximately the
same thing) at this point, which is broad and vague. However, I am at
this point unclear on the use case for this relationship, without which
all of this is just theoretical. Here are some cases that I can imagine:

- xISBN: the relationship of all of the things in an xISBN cluster to
each other and/or to the cluster
- a digital copy of the text and a record in a library database, not
necessarily the same manifestation but "close enough"
- a translation of a text
- a performance of a musical work
- a reprint of a book
- a journal article in a journal and the pre- or post-print online

To what extent are these immediate needs for bibliographic data in
schema.org? I'd say they are not a #1 priority, but that's why I'm
asking about use cases.

I can't figure out what we would do with WEMI or BIBFRAME since those
are "directional" -- that is, they have specific relationships with a
specific order. (I have vague hopes that we never have to model FRBR,
but that's just me.)

kc