Re: Kill the Record! (Was: BIBFRAME and schema.org)

Corey, I share your fear about over-engineering. I tend to put use of
productOntology in that category, though, because examples I've seen
make use of greater detail than I think we currently represent in
library data online -- and I'm not convinced that more detail is needed.
Users seem to care about whether something is print, online, or on disk
(DVD, CD). We've started mixing books and articles (print and online) in
our discovery systems, and users seem comfortable with that. I suspect
that they favor "can I get it now?" as a primary selection criterion.
Hardback and paperback? Not so much.

This is why I'd like to understand better what publishers need, since
they have a different use case: different versions and formats have
different prices, and they need to show that. For a library, I doubt if
"paperback" and "hardback" are deciding selection factors for users.
When I see examples that have these in them it is a bit jarring,
especially since that data isn't reliably coded in our records.

I would prefer to initially base schema.org thinking on library
*displays* rather than library *records*. It's rather astonishing how
little of what is coded in MARC ends up on the screen in the basic user
displays, as well as how little of it feeds indexing. I second an
earlier comment by Ed Summers that we should concentrate on what we can
do today with schema.org, and add to it as library data online undergoes
changes that require new capabilities. Current displays are a place to
start, and once we have conquered those we can move on. Remember, this
group is supposed to disband in Fall of 2013.

Thus, once again, can we look at holdings displays and come up with a
reasonable solution? I think that schema.org has a good 90% or more of
what we need for basic bibliographic description. But getting users to
library holdings isn't yet covered.

kc

m: 1-510-435-8234
skype: kcoylenet