From: kcoyle@kcoyle.net
Sent:Fri, 05 Jul 2013 12:01:45 -0700
Subject:Re: Kill the Record! (Was: BIBFRAME and schema.org)

 Cory, I don't think that what I propose is "non-conforming." I think
we
 need to make choices amongst the conforming ones. I assume that we
will
 be making some kind of cross-walk from library data to schema.org,
and
 that best practice will be that coded format x (e.g. from the LDR or
007
 in MARC) will have a defined value in schema.org that means
 approximately the same thing. Do we choose "paperback", "mass
paperback"
 or just "book"? It really is a question of what we intend to convey
with
 the schema.org data, what we see it linking to most usefully, what is

 most accurate, and what is going to be easiest to produce.

 As an example, if you look at that list on WP you see that it has
"book
 series", which is primarily what libraries would call "readers'
series"
 - Harry Potter, "A is for Alibi...," "Narnia", etc. So although it
says
 "series" it isn't the same as what is in an 8XX field. There IS an
 article for "monographic series". The monographic series article is
 pretty piss-poor, however, and needs a serious amount of work Should
we
 use it as is? Does it represent the same concept as the 8XX fields?

 I love WP, I do, but there's a great variation in the quality of the
 pages. Nothing on WP can be taken at face value - we need to be smart

 about it, and even pro-active, if we are to take WP links to be
 *definitional* of our data elements. I'm not comfortable with
assuming
 that any page on WP is by definition authoritative. (I'm in the midst
of
 a huge revision of the DDC pages which were TOTALLY inaccurate, so
this
 is something I'm painfully aware of at the moment.) In addition, we
will
 have to make choices when WP divides the world differently from us.

 Finally, although productontology is available for use, it isn't the
 only possibility. I know that Jeff favors it, but we need to keep an
eye
 on practice to see if it becomes standard practice, and if it is used
by
 search engines. I hope that some statistics will be available that
 provide guidance.

 kc

 On 7/5/13 10:57 AM, Corey A Harper wrote:
 > Hi Karen,
 >
 > Can you say a bit more about "I'm not convinced, having looked at
some
 > of the pages, that WP shares the conceptual model that we'll find
in our
 > data."? I'm not sure I understand what problems you foresee, nor
what
 > you believe the ramifications of those problems to be.
 >
 > I struggle with the idea that "..we then need to develop some best
 > practices for library data, knowing that non-library data will take
its
 > own direction." I'm rather averse to maintaining our own little,
 > non-conforming corner of the Web without a really clear
understanding of

 --
 Karen Coyle
 kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net