From: kcoyle@kcoyle.net
Sent:Fri, 05 Jul 2013 07:41:40 -0700
Subject:Holdings in schema.org (was: Kill the Record!)

 Could we turn this into a useful discussion and take a look at:

 http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Holdings

 Although there may be other purposes to schema.org mark-up, it might
be
 good to address ILS holdings displays before moving on to other
 potential uses.

 kc

 On 7/5/13 7:25 AM, Young,Jeff (OR) wrote:
 > Note that Schema.org  already has a mechanism to
 > indicate "Item" in the FRBR sense: schema:IndividualProduct. If you
want
 > to relate those items to an abstraction that is analogous to FRBR
 > Manifestation, you can use schema:model to link to a
schema:ProductModel.

 > Aside, I would argue that the defining characteristic of Item is
that it
 > has "location". For physical items that location can be determined
by
 > geolocation (for example). For Web items (aka Web documents), the
 > location can be determined by its URL.
 >
 > Jeff
 >
 > Sent from my iPad
 >
 > On Jul 5, 2013, at 9:55 AM, "Ross Singer"  > wrote:
 >
 >> But this all really how many angels can fit on the head of a pin,
 >> isn't it?
 >>
 >> We've already established that we're not interested in defining
any
 >> strict interpretation of FRBR in schema.org : we're
 >> just trying to define a way to describe things in HTML that
computers
 >> can parse.
 >>
 >> Yes, I think we need to establish what an item is, no I don't
think we
 >> have to use FRBR as a strict guide.
 >>
 >> -Ross.
 >>
 >> On Jul 5, 2013, at 8:51 AM, James Weinheimer
 >>  wrote:

 >>> Because manifestations are defined by their format (among other
 >>> things). Therefore, a movie of, e.g. Moby Dick that is a
 >>> videocassette is considered to be a different manifestation from
that
 >>> of a DVD. Each one is described separately. So, if you have
multiple
 >>> copies of the same format for the same content those are called
 >>> copies. But if you have different formats for the same content,
those
 >>> are different manifestations.
 >>>
 >>> The examples in arxiv.org  are just like I
 >>> mentioned in archive.org  and they follow a
 >>> different sort of structure. You do not see this in a library
 >>> catalog, where each format will get a different manifestation, so
 >>> that each format can be described.
 >>>
 >>> As a result, things work quite differently. Look for e.g. Moby
Dick
 >>> in Worldcat, and you will see all kinds of formats available in
the
 >>> left-hand column.
 >>> https://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat_org_all&q=moby+dick
 >>>
 >>> When you click on an individual record,
 >>> http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/62208367 you will see where all of
the
 >>> copies of this particular format of this particular expression
are
 >>> located. This is the manifestation. And its purpose is to
organize

 --
 Karen Coyle
 kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net