Re: Kill the Record! (Was: BIBFRAME and schema.org)

On 05/07/2013 15:54, Ross Singer wrote:
<snip>
> But this all really how many angels can fit on the head of a pin,
> isn't it?
>
> We've already established that we're not interested in defining any
> strict interpretation of FRBR in schema.org <http://schema.org>: we're
> just trying to define a way to describe things in HTML that computers
> can parse.
>
> Yes, I think we need to establish what an item is, no I don't think we
> have to use FRBR as a strict guide.
</snip>

I do not think it is similar to how many angels can fit on the head of a
pin because ultimately, somebody will want everything to work together
in ways that are understandable. And I was concerned that there was a
mixture of terminology that would become incredibly confusing since I
saw that "manifestation" was being used in completely different ways
from the norm. I think there needs to be a basic understanding of all of
this because it is important.

Still, I completely agree that FRBR is not a suitable model for
materials on the internet and that what we see in e.g. arxiv.org, where
other and new formats can be generated automatically, are far
preferable. Once again, I want to emphasize that this is for materials
on the internet.

--
*James Weinheimer* weinheimer.jim.l@gmail.com
*First Thus* http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/