Re: BIBFRAME and schema.org

On 04/07/2013 15:37, Young,Jeff (OR) wrote:
<snip>
> I guess my argument isn't clear yet. I'm suggesting that one
> conceptual manifestation URI (called a "generic resource") can serve
> as the hub ("canonical") identifier for all the various and
> distributed language/format variant "files" (Items) that could be
> located elsewhere on the Web. That one generic manifestation URI can
> do the negotiation for language, media-type, and even appropriate copy.
</snip>

I believe I understand this point, but I am emphasizing that this is a
completely different meaning of what a manifestation record is
currently. In traditional cataloging, different formats get different
manifestations, such as the movie "Moby Dick" on movie film, or on
videocassette, or DVD, or Blu-Ray, or streaming, would all be considered
different manifestations, just as the book Moby Dick would get different
manifestations based on number of pages, publishers, printing dates and
so on.

So, if we want another type of record, such as this copy in the Internet
Archive, http://archive.org/details/mobydickorwhale01melv, where
different manifestations are brought together: pdf, epub, Daisy, Kindle,
etc. then that is fine--and I would be for that--but considering a
record like this to be similar to manifestations would be horribly
confusing for (at least) catalogers, and perhaps for others.

This is why I am saying that while the FRBR model *may be* OK in the
printed world (and I doubt that it is so useful, but for the moment will
accept that it "may be"), in the online environment the FRBR is limiting
and other models are needed. In any case, modern systems can merge and
sort information in all kinds of ways, and can allow for new types of
flexibility for today's world.
--
*James Weinheimer* weinheimer.jim.l@gmail.com
*First Thus* http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/