Re: Using dc:isFormatOf to unify instanceOf and commonEndeavor with existing practise

On 7/3/13 2:12 PM, Niklas Lindström wrote:
> Karen,
>
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net
> <mailto:kcoyle@kcoyle.net>> wrote:
>
>     Once again, good idea, but a different meaning.
>

> That's exactly my point. I elaborated on that, suggesting that the
> *combination* of 'isFormatOf' and 'isVersionOf' may cover what
> 'commonEndeavor' is after. And that I value this distinction (as defined
> in DC), because its meaning has been proven useful.

Niklas, are you implying that one would use two triples to describe a
single relationship? In a world of triples, I'm just not sure what a
"combination of" two properties might mean.

> As I said, 'isVersionOf' implies precedence, but only a temporal
> precedence. It can most definitely relate two "manifestations", such as
> a legal document and a revision of it. It links to another "version,
> edition, or adaptation", with "substantive changes in content rather
> than differences in format".

I don't know of anything in DC's "isVersionOf" that implies a temporal
precedence, although that may be a common usage. For example, United
Nations documents are published simultaneously in multiple languages,
and they are definitely versions of each other, but there is no temporal
precedence. It does imply a change of some sort (like being in different
languages), and commonEndeavor does not require that there be a change
in the resource content. It can be two publications of the same text.

I would be open to a broader interpretation of dc:isVersionOf except for
the note on that property that reads:
	"Changes in version imply substantive changes in content rather than
differences in format."

That "substantive changes in content" is the key point.

>.
>

> I understand that. I also brought up 'dcterms:relation' (defined as "A
> related resource", and being the explicit superproperty of
> 'dcterms:isFormatOf' and 'dcterms:isVersionOf'), which may fit this use
> case (albeit being even more general). Just like 'commonEndeavor', it is
> (reasonably) a symmetric and transitive property.

Yes, dc:relation is very much along the same lines, although it doesn't
specify that there is common intellectual content. It is defined as "A
related resource." I do wish that the definition were a bit clearer, or
that there were examples. Would it include two different monographs in a
monographic series? Two books by the same author (but totally different
in content)? If it doesn't imply a commonality of content then it seems
to be not terribly useful.

Of course anyone could say that resourceA -> dc:relation -> resourceB.
But that wouldn't be recognized as being part of schema.org, which has
to be in the schema.org namespace, so I'm not sure what the relevance of
the dc properties are to our discussion. If we want resource
relationships to be recognized by schema.org we need to define them in
schema.org, right?

kc

--
Karen Coyle