Re: Using dc:isFormatOf to unify instanceOf and commonEndeavor with existing practise

Hi Jeff,

That might be, but I imagine it's rather a case of schema.org and DC terms
coinciding and having been subsequently correlated (it appears so to me
after studying information published e.g. at [1]). I'd rather think that,
just as was the case with GoodRelations, members of this initiative, along
with e.g. the DC community, have more in-depth needs and knowledge to be
able to add additional, valuable properties and classes applicable to more
specific needs regarding bibliographic information (and indeed related
descriptions about human documents and artifacts).

I also agree that an Agent class can be quite useful. Not the least for
when you're not really sure what kind of agent you're talking about. ;) And
right now, the lack thereof restricts a bunch of properties in schema.org.
For instance, 'publisher' can only be an Organization.

While the word "format" brings different things to mind, it is simply
defined [2] for Dublin Core as:

    The file format, physical medium, or dimensions of the resource.

    Examples of dimensions include size and duration. Recommended best
practice is to use a controlled vocabulary such as the list of Internet
Media Types.

A minimal and open, but to me rather usable definition.

.. Now, it might be argued that the *naming* of properties in DC are a bit
strange at times. For example, you're supposed to describe a specific
resource, say a PDF representation of a book, to be 'isFormatOf' the book,
and also have a 'format' of "PDF" (well, rather "application/pdf", or link
(with a URI) to a definition thereof). I personally think there aren't real
problems though, as it is the meaning and not the name that's important,
and as long as there is a difference. But if we come to agreement about
meaning and usage (again, ideally without inventing something new), I am
also for considering a suitable naming of the properties we propose for
addition in schema.org.

Perhaps 'sameContentAs' would be a better name than 'isFormatOf' (though
still based on 'dcterms:isFormatOf'). Somewhat closer to 'commonEndeavor'
(the names imply little about horizontal vs. generalizes), but still with a
difference to 'isVersionOf' – which I think is a useful distinction.

Cheers,
Niklas

[1]: http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/Schema.org_Alignment
[2]: http://purl.org/dc/terms/format