Re: AW: "citation" property needed on ScholarlyArticle

Hi Karen,

I agree there's a more precise relation for "referencing through imitation".
But If 50% of the people on this group are already understanding "cite" in a broader range, then it sounds like a lost battle, really. Is there really an effective way we could refrain schema.org implementers to understand a notion as intuitive in a formalized/constrained way?

The best way I can think of is to provide a property for "referencing through imitation" and to make this property a sibling of the "cite" one under a more general "reference" property. Making the alternative visible is imho the only way to encourage 'appropriate' usage.
But even then I'm really skeptical. Probably many would regard the distinction between the two sub-properties to be too specific, and would directly use the the "reference" one.

Antoine