Re: Fwd: Changes vs. new element

Since we are talking about marking up library holdings displays...
shelving location is almost always in the display because people are
expected to go from the catalog to the shelf. Shelving location MAY be
"West Branch." It also could be "Reference Desk" or "Periodicals room."
The fact is that we don't get to choose what the shelving location means
- it'll mean whatever the libraries putting out the data want it to
mean. But I think it will always be there.

[see the second display, "Moby Dick", in http://kcoyle.net/holdings.html]

>> Again, why would a consumer care what the bar code on their book says?  Do
>> they really say "I want copy 2 because my friend told me the pages are
>> cleaner?"

I rarely see barcodes in displays, but it's not unusual to have a
display of every copy. [See entry "University library = using Ex
Libris?" to see an example with a barcode, which looks really weird to
me, but it's real.] I'll see if I can find a good example with all
copies showing for a single location.

kc
--
Karen Coyle