Holdings and Access criteria (was Changes vs. new element)

Dan pointed at a discussion in this area from the tail end of last year, so I thought I'd resurrect something I said at that time, which was along the lines of wondering whether we should have a way of describing the characteristics of those that can typically make use of a service or resource.

So a resource might only be accessible by a user using a device with an IP address in a certain range... or with a certain membership (only members of the library can access this resource) ... or with a certain authentication mechanism ... or with a personal subscription to a service etc.

This would seem useful in human readable terms when describing things ('this film is accessible to someone with a Netflix subscription', 'this item is accessible to someone who is a member of this library'), and also in machine readable terms - opening up the possibility of a service being able to combine the characteristics required for access with what it knows of a person to work out whether they should/are likely to be able to access the resource.

For me the acid test is a non-library scenario - the netflix/hulu usecase - given a tv programme/film of music I'd really like to know whether I can already access it as a Netflix/Hulu subscriber. I think this is essentially the 'appropriate copy' scenario OpenURL was designed to work with. If we can find a way of expressing this then it feels like it definitely has applicability outside the library sphere.

Any takers?

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting