RE: Next Meeting - Schema Bib Extend W3C Group - 17th October

1) I can't make the call tomorrow, alas, due to prior commitments in
that same time slot every week.

2) A concern I have about introducing more conceptual mappings into
schema.org is that one of the goals of schema.org microdata, if I
understand correctly, was to avoid the "spider food" SEO traps of ye
olde META tags. Search engines ended up having to ignore META tags
because they were mostly being used to game engines into returning
irrelevant results. When one adds microdata around concrete terms (such
as a standardized format for opening hours for an organization), there's
an assertion being made that can be reasonably easily verified against
the marked-up text that's visible in a browser; when one adds assertions
about conceptual categories, those might be harder to verify & therefore
trust and make use of. Perhaps less so for LCSH / MeSH and the like,
because the subject headings will probably be visible in the browser,
but I worry a little about something like SKOS if it's not tied to
user-visible text. I could be paranoid, or cynical, or dumb (or all
three!), but I would expect assertions along the lines of "BT: Nude
Celebrity Pics" to start turning up in woeful SEO attempts.

3) I'm over-tired and definitely not at the height of my minimal
intellectual powers, but I don't actually understand what Jeff means by
a "big bang" approach (partially because I don't know whether I'm
supposed to match up the indefinite pronoun "they" with schema.org or
the Semantic Web community). In any case, Jeff included some useful
links; http://schema.org/docs/datamodel.html contains the following
statement:

"""
The type hierarchy presented on this site is not intended to be a
'global ontology' of the world. It only covers the types of entities for
which we (Microsoft, Yahoo!, Google and Yandex), think we can provide
some special treatment for, through our search engines, in the near
future.
"""

So, along the lines of Phil Archer's post, "radically simple" appears
to be the goal of schema.org... something that even I have been able to
understand, put into practice, and see results (via rich snippets and
the like). In that vein, then, is it a reasonable goal to take the
incredible complexity and granularity of previous linked data / FRBR /
FRAD efforts, and extract just the most immediately useful elements for
the next iteration of schema.org in the bibliographic realm, with
supporting use cases, such that
libraries/archives/museums/publishers/book sellers/etc can reasonably
implement it and that search engines can realistically make use of it?

Thanks,
Dan Scott

 ( http://sch )> ( http://schema.o )> ( http://schema.or )> (
http://schema.org )  ( http://schema.org/ )" ( http://schema.org/do )Y (
http://schema.org/docs/datamo )o ( http://schema.org/docs/datamod )u (
http://schema.org/docs/datamode )ng,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>
10/16/2012 9:59 PM >>>
Karen,

You've raise issues that "we" (modeling experts and domain experts
alike) need to deconstruct and reconcile to appeal to a broader
audience. The W3C community (which I would characterize as a group of
"modeling experts") was able to respond almost immediately (within days
of the Schema.org announcement) with an RDF mapping:
http://schema.rdfs.org/). The Schema.org community has acknowledged this
alignment in a few ways:

- http://schema.org/docs/datamodel.html
- http://schema.org/docs/schemaorg.owl
- Hiring Dan Brickley

Schema.org may not be as obsessed with ontological/ideological
prophylaxis as the Semantic Web (or library) community are, but that's
presumably because they "know" (in a sense) that triple-based
intuition-based vocabularies are more important (in the broad sense and
in these early phases) than modeling-expertise/domain-expertise hygiene.
I personally am inclined to believe that this "big bang" approach is in
everyone's best interest. This includes emerging razor-sharp
industrial-strength "domain models" of the type that could be
characterized by the "long tail" diagram in this blog post:

http://philarcher.org/diary/2012/danbri/?m=0

Disclaimer: This DOESN'T mean that I intend to shove this view down
OCLC's (or the industry's) throat. (The idea that I have this kind of
power/influence is so ludicrous I can't even believe I'm saying it. I'm
merely here to help.) If the industry needs to believe that SKOS and/or
MARCR (or Dublin Core or RDA or whatever) are "superior" to Schema.org
then I will do whatever I can (within practical reason) to support it.
Nevertheless, I can't promise to believe that it needs to be either/or.

Jeff

October

public-schemabibex@w3.org
> >                 <http://public-schemabibex@w3.org>
> >                 *Subject:* RE: Next Meeting - Schema Bib Extend
W3C
> >                 Group - 17th October
> >
> >                 Jean,
> >
> >                 I like where this is heading. In the experimental
> >                 WorldCat.org Linked Data so far (online RDFa and
bulk
> >                 N-Triples) I used skos:Concept for these
situations.
> In
> >                 my dev environment, though, I started the switch
> >                 schema:Intangible but wasn't entirely happy with
it.
> >                 This proposal is much more satisfying.
> >
> >                 One issue comes to mind for discussion, though.
This
> >                 proposed schema:Concept feels more equivalent to
FRBR
> >                 Concept than it does to skos:Concept. The
difference
> is
> >                 subtle but real, IMO, and has to do with
foaf:focus
> >                 (with a range of "Thing" and inverse of
> >                 madsrdf:isIdentifiedByAuthority) being a
meaningful
> >                 property for the latter (skos:Concept) but not the
> >                 former (FRBR Concept). VIAF (which doesn't
currently
> >                 attempt to identify FRBR Concepts) is probably the
> best
> >                 illustration of the issues involved.
> >
> >                 I realize that schema:Concept is destined to be a
> >                 compromise, but it would be nice (albeit perhaps
not
> >                 necessary) if this group had a clear understanding
> and
> >                 articulation of those compromises to minimize
> confusion
> >                 in industrial-strength use cases.
> >
> >                 Jeff
> >

> >                 *From:* delahousse.jean@gmail.com
> >                 <http://delahousse.jean@gmail.com>

Skos
> >                 ontology. After BnF published Rameau in the LOD
but
> also
> >                 as web pages, one for each concept, I thought it
will
> be
> >                 useful to have an extension of Schema.org to make
> >                 concepts defined in controlled vocabularies more
> visible
> >                 by search engines.
> >
> >                 Concepts are good candidates for TopicPages, and
work
> as
> >                 hub to access well annotated contents or others
Topic
> >                 Pages. They are a valuable asset for content /
> knowledge
> >                 access from a search engine.
> >

> >                 Also it happens to find "glossary", "terminology"
or
> >                 "lexicon" in a web site. This extension of
Schema.org
> >                 will enable to describe those types of
publication.

> >                 I took the initiative of this work but immediately
> ask
> >                 for support and review work to Antoine Isaac and
> Romain
> >                 Weinz. They have been very encouraging and already
> >                 proposed corrections included in this version.
> >

> >                 You'll find attached the proposal for the Skos
> >                 Schema.org extension, we made it as simple and
light
> as
> >                 possible.
> >

> >                 I propose, if the group agrees, to have a first
> >                 discussion on this proposal inside our group
before
> >                 publish it for a larger audience..
> >

> >                 Best regards
> >

> >                 Talk to you on Thursday.
> >

> >                 Jean Delahousse
> >
> >                 2012/10/10 Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@oclc.org
> >                 <http://richard.wallis@oclc.org>>
> >
> >                 Hi All,
> >
> >                 It is about time we followed up on the excellent
> first
> >                 meeting we had.
> >
> >                 I have scheduled conference call time for 11:00am
EDT