Re: Next Meeting - Schema Bib Extend W3C Group - 17th October

I'm unclear on the proposed use of a SKOS-like addition to schema.org.
My understanding of schema.org is that it is intended to make up for the
fact that most web pages do not have any semantic mark-up, just HTML.
Any vocabularies in SKOS already do have semantic mark-up. Are you
anticipating that some sites would use schema.org *instead of* SKOS?
Also, are you thinking that schema.org users would use this to define
controlled vocabularies?

kc

On 10/16/12 12:33 PM, jean delahousse wrote:

> 2012/10/16 jean delahousse <delahousse.jean@gmail.com
> <mailto:delahousse.jean@gmail.com>>
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     Any subject described in the classes of Schema.org (person,
>     organization, creative work, product, intangible...) can be
>     referenced in a controlled vocabulary with the specific formalism of
>     a controlled vocabulary and the specific relationships it allows
>     (broader, narrower, related and alignment relationships). The aim of
>     the controlled vocabulary description of the concept, is not to
>     descripe the subject itself, but to describe it as a "concept" in a
>     controlled vocabulary, describing a given set of subjects, which
>     someone wants to use to classify or describe something else.
>
>     Administration and publication of a controlled vocabulary implies
>     some best practices and rules about concept definition, labels, life
>     of the concept.. which are the same for all class of subjects.
>
>     So in my mind the concept description can double a description of
>     the subject as a person, a product, an event, in the same
>     publication. This would probably means to be able to describe a link
>     between the skos:concept page  and the page about this subject, for
>     example between the concept of "Chicago" in the controlled
>     vocabulary, and a page describing Chicago as a place in the same web
>     site.
>
>     So the objective here is not to describe subject which are not
>     actually described by Shema.org but to give a very oriented
>     "taxonomist" view on any possible subject.
>     As a matter of fact, my first tought was to add a class "concept" at
>     the upper level under Thing. This class would not have be exclusive
>     from belonging to any other class.
>
>     Jean
>

>     2012/10/16 jean delahousse <delahousse.jean@gmail.com
>     <mailto:delahousse.jean@gmail.com>>
>
>         Richard,
>
>         I did publish a brief description a link on the uploaded copy of
>         the document.
>
>         Jean
>

>         2012/10/16 Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@oclc.org
>         <mailto:richard.wallis@oclc.org>>
>
>             Jean,
>
>             Would you have any objection to your proposal being
>             published on the Group Wiki?
>
>             If it is OK by you, you could append a brief description to
>             the Areas for Discussion page
>             <http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Areas_for_Discussion>
>             and link to an uploaded copy of the document.
>
>             ~Richard.
>

>             On 16/10/2012 14:10, "Tami Ezra"
>             <Tami.Ezra@exlibrisgroup.com
>             <http://Tami.Ezra@exlibrisgroup.com>> wrote:
>
>                 Hi,
>
>                 My name is Tami Ezra and I am a senior business analyst
>                 at Ex Libris.
>
>                 I am interested in the proposal discussed below - would
>                 it be possible to get a copy?
>
>                 Many thanks
>
>                 Tami

Karen Coyle