Re: Three steps

On 11/28/12 7:31 AM, Kevin Ford wrote:
> Just to add support to Jason's note, the "itemid" property he included
> in his last example would be ideal, but not mandatory.

Right. That's the element that, as I pointed out, most libraries using
standard ILSs do not have, and that I suspect they may not get in the
near future. So "not mandatory" is an essential message.

At some past ALA meeting of the Linked Library Data group I did a
lightning talk on possible library use of schema.org. The motivation, as
I saw it (and still do) is that if you can make a change that is ONLY a
change to the HTML page display -- that doesn't affect the database, the
cataloging modules, the UI, or anything else that would require
significant changes to the ILS software -- then we might be able to get
vendors to add linked data to the systems as a display-only feature.
This solution has lots of advantages, not the least being that it
doesn't even require a change in the user interface since it will be
ignored by the browser.

This does mean that we will be going into the linked data space with the
data we have, not the data we wish we had. At least initially. I see
this as step 1, and in order to make this palatable to library systems
vendors I feel strongly that we need to present that simplest
possibility as a good and viable one.

We might want to look at our use cases and see if there are ways to
implement any of them with Step1 data. This will probably hinge on the
presence of ISBNs (or LCCNs?), but again that might be an encouragement
to vendors to make the change.

(Hmmm. Anyone here involved with OS library systems? That sounds like a
good place to start.)

kc

--
Karen Coyle